Tuesday, May 31, 2011

TUESDAY BRINGS TROUBLE

Beautiful B.C.

Indulge me, please. I was born and raised in B.C. and although I've said I'd never move back, a part of me felt a longing as the plane descended into Vancouver airport. The ocean, the mountains -- these account for the pull to return to the place I said I wouldn't move back to. And, although I've never lived on Vancouver Island, if I chose to, Victoria would be the city. It's similar to Ottawa, so no big adjustment there. Victoria must have been what they had in mind when the slogan, Beautiful B.C. was coined.

However, beside all that natural beauty, what also tugs are the people. I'm spending the week before Bloody Words visiting with family and old friends. So wonderful to be able to do, as my visits out here are infrequent.

The people of Victoria are friendly, too. Always quick with a smile or to say 'hi' on my early morning walks. Talkative but not pushy merchants. Helpful wherever I go.

And then, there are the B.C. mystery writers. A great group of voices, continuing with Mary Jane's theme from yesterday. The Bloody Words co-chairs, Lou Allin and Kay Stewart, have been visible on bookshelves for several years.

William Deverell -- well, what can I say about him. I'm one of his biggest fans and always enjoy seeing him. He's Local Guest of Honour at this year's conference. Michael Slade's name has long been prominent on crime lists and he's the Guest of Honour. Denise Dietz, is MC and if her books are any indicator, we'll be laughing a lot.

Other B.C. mystery authors include Deryn Collier, Debra Purdy Kong, Roy Innes, Don Hauka, Linda Richards and Phyllis Smallman. (My apologies if I've left anyone out! It's been a busy weekend.) That says a lot for the West Coast voice! And, let's not forget Vicki Delany who sets one of her series in B.C.

The entire country is rich with mysterious voices! There'll be a very vocal representation here in Victoria for Bloody Words 2011. Hope to see you, too!



Linda Wiken/Erika Chase
A Killer Read coming April, 2012
from Berkley Prime Crime

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait, Linda. I haven't been to Victoria in nearly forty years, so I am really looking forward to a wonderful Bloody Words weekend, and the chance to see old friends and make new ones. We have such a vast and varied country!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We sure do! You'll really love it here, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete