Wednesday, February 15, 2012

WICKED WEDNESDAYS

So much for good intentions...


I don't make New Year's resolutions because I never keep them. Although it is fun to muse about things one might to change in life. Instead, I've had the good intention of writing my blog the night before (at the latest) and scheduling it to be running long before I'm on my morning walk.

It worked for a while...a short while. But I've made the conscious decision to scrap that idea. Okay, maybe it's more like life is dictating to me that I will never be one who can write my blog that far in advance. Which may be a good thing because I realize the value of shocking the brain into writing mode.

Take today for instance. Maybe it's the air pressure, the cloudy skies (although the gently falling snow adds an elegant touch) or the fact that my brain just wouldn't quit after last night's class. I'm taking Beginner's Digital Photography at night school. It had to be done. I've had this great camera for a couple of years and two overseas trips and very little of photographic quality to show for it.

The course is great and I've now actually read the entire manual that came with the camera! I hate reading manuals which accounts for a new DVD player still in the box after two months and a wireless mobile mouse pristine in its packaging after even a longer amount of time. But I digress.

I have a lot of work to do on the second draft of my third book. I may have mentioned this before which shows how slowly this is progressing. My solution -- start the morning off with a couple of cups of espresso and then write the blog. It might appear later than some readers would like, especially if your early morning routine includes buzzing through the blogs, your email and other web happenings before heading to work.

But for me, it is the start of my work day. It's an exercise in getting the brain in gear, thinking quickly as I watch the minute hand work its way downward, and also getting those fingers flying over the keys. From here, I'll go on to the email, blog, web routine then straight into writing. It works for me!

What works for you?




Linda Wiken/Erika Chase
A Killer Read coming April, 2012
from Berkley Prime Crime
www.erikachase.com

No comments:

Post a Comment