Wednesday, August 29, 2012

WICKED WEDNESDAYS

Is there a 12-step program for this?



As I push aside a stack of trade paperbacks in order to retrieve a book from the bottom shelf of one of three bookcases in my home office, I guiltily remember that I have five new titles on order.

Where am I going to put them? What was I thinking? Is there no help for my condition, commonly known as book addiction?

That's one of the perils of getting back into the book business, no matter how minutely. I now have a method of buying books at publisher's discount. Not the kind of enabling you allow an addict.

But there's no controlling this 'illness', I'm happy to admit. I'm a bookie, and not the e-book kind of reader. I need the solid cover and pages of a read in my hands. Or in a stack on the floor, as the case may be. Or it could be on my nightside table, on the coffee table in the living room, or stashed at odd angles on any one of the many, many bookcases in the house.

And last night I found myself trying to track down the three Magdalen Nabb titles I'm still missing! What next? Oh, yes...I think there's a Cara Black on that list, too. And then, think of all the new titles coming out this fall and winter -- Louise Penny, Vicki Delany, Peter Robinson, Barbara Fradkin to name a few. Bring on those cold, blustery winter days.

That's when addictions like mine really pay off!





Linda Wiken/Erika Chase

A KILLER READ
Berkley Prime Crime, now available
READ & BURIED, coming Dec., 2012 (now available for pre-order)
www.erikachase.com

1 comment:

  1. I'm more of a summer reader. On hot sunny days, I dash outside in bathing suit clutching book to sit there for hours. In winter I'm more likely to be found at the computer working on some aspect of editing or promotion. But that fall list does look tempting...

    ReplyDelete