Friday, December 31, 2010

CRIME ON MY MIND

No resolutions here!

I don't do New Year's resolutions! I can never keep them, so I don't do them. Although, if I did make them, they would include several writing resolutions.

First and foremost would be to resolve to treat writing like a regular job. Sit myself down at the computer each weekday at 10 a.m., allow a coffee break, lunch break but no phone calls, then finish at 3 p.m. That still allows me two hours of the mid-peak hydro prices in which to get the laundry washed & ready for the off-peak hours after 9 p.m. for drying it. Plus any other household chores.

Second on the list would be to cut back on the snacking. It's the #1 negative aspect of not working out of the house. The food is there at all hours and just too convenient. There was no fridge, no microwave, no cupboards with treats when I worked at the store. Now, I hit a snag in writing and start to wander -- it helps my thinking process -- which usually means a stop at the almond jar, or maybe a spoonful of almond butter, or how about a piece of chocolate. Is it 3 p.m. yet?

Number three has got to be trying more outdoor winter activities. I still continue my early morning walking routing outdoors, except if there's freezing rain. But I have these cross-country skis and snowshoes sitting in the basement. I do enjoy both sports. But that would require getting geared up and driving someplace. And remember, I have only an hour and a half of daylight after I finish work. And that's if I don't do the laundry. Or other chores. I know, there are weekends! What happens to them, by the way? They fly by.

That's it for the resolutions. So glad I'm not making any this year. Instead, I'm making a decree that this is the Year of the Friend! Which means I'll do better at staying in touch, re-connecting with friends from the past, taking time to meet for coffee with those close by, or better yet, lunch. Accepting all invitations (that I possibly can) and issuing even more. I look forward to following through on these!

Are you making any resolutions this year?


Linda Wiken/Erika Chase

2 comments:

  1. I also don't do resolutions, although mine would revolve around dust bunnies and other housework evils, which are always at the bottom of my to-do list.

    One of the things I love about the writing life is that I set my own work hours. In winter, with its very brief daylight, I always take time midday to go out, and I write when it's dark. Plus I take days off during the week to do fun things like skiing and skating, when the crowds are thinner, and I work on the weekends. Lunch with friends sounds good! I'm always up for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to do a 'plan' for the year, which usually goes astray midway through, but it's better than nothing. I have writing and relaxing goals and having fun too!

    MJ

    ReplyDelete