Wednesday, March 28, 2012

WICKED WEDNESDAYS

Tastes in reading



Last night was book club night again. As usual, the friendship -- fueled by various food groups, including chocolate, and wine -- was the highlight of the evening. However, we did actually discuss books, too. Although neither one (we had missed last month's meeting due to bad weather & travel) was a mystery.

But that doesn't matter. The fact is that readers are the life-blood of writers and how re-assuring to a writer to hear readers disagreeing about books! Each reader comes from a different place, has different life experiences and interests. Therefore, of course...there won't always, if ever, be total agreement.

What makes this so great, in my opinion, is the acceptance that not everyone is going to like your book, your work of art, your manuscript which is saturated in blood and sweat. And that's okay. Because someone will.

But what's most important to writers is that you like your own work. I used to admit that I cringe when I'm out reading from my works. Those words on paper don't glisten as brilliantly as they did at first. But then, writers are their own most strident critics. Or it could be boredom. How many times do you want to re-read a book, anyway? No matter who pens it? Whatever. Deep down, I am pleased with what I've produced and I've thoroughly enjoyed the entire process. I enjoy spending time with my characters in their fictional town and yes, plotting murders.



And I truly hope that many readers will enjoy the read. But I don't expect that all will. Cosies just aren't everyone's cup of tea. Some don't like southern settings. Others may not like book clubs -- horrors! Or the writing style. Or the plot or dialogue...or any number of things.

So, Erika -- get over it and take heart in the fact that somewhere, a book club may one evening discuss your book. And I think that's one of the best things a book can promote -- discussion. And moments of pleasure.




Linda Wiken/Erika Chase
A Killer Read coming April, 2012
from Berkley Prime Crime
www.erikachase.com

No comments:

Post a Comment